Wednesday, August 29, 2007

17-year-old hacker hacks the iPhone

I found this article in our St. Louis newspaper and later found it online. In our newspaper its title is: "Le telephone rings, thanks to 17-year-old hacker." It's about a young kid who spent the summer figuring out how to get his iPhone to connect to networks besides the AT&T network that it's supposed to connect to. After 500 hours, including getting help from other people, he finally figured out how to do it. He had to solder (which is melting metal) and use software. When he finished he told everyone how to do it but he said it wasn't easy.

I really admire this guy, because I can't do this kind of thing, but it's a very interesting thing to be able to do. Apparently it is legal now although I'm sure they will make it illegal eventually, if they want to protect their ability to sell the iPhone. One interesting thing about the article is that it mentions that now, there will probably be a small industry made of people who do what he did, in bigger numbers, and sell the iPhones abroad for good money. I think young people know a lot these days, and it's a little scary. I worry about my children: What will they know? How will they use it? If this kid "hacks the brain," then what will he learn and what will he do with it?

-Mr. L.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home