Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Smoking Ban

The title of my article is Smoking ban has unforseen effects on restuarants. It discusses the positive and negative effects the smoking ban has had on restaurants around Carbondale. The article examines the effects of the ban by looking at the sales, speaking to the owners, employees, and customers of popular previously smoker- friendly restaurants. Some expected Longbranch to experience a decrease in sales, but the owner happily reports an increase of approximately 7 percent. Also on a good note, customers are enjoying the smoke-free air. Despite the advantages for the businesses and the customers, not all the effects have been beneficial. Some employees don't like smoking outdoors and feel it is unsafe, some confusion has occurred in knowing when to clean off a smoker's table, and this confusion creates a possibility for some smokers to skip out in paying their check.

I found this article to be surprising and interesting. I did not think common smoking restaurants would increase in sales after the ban came into effect. I worked in two restaurants that both allowed smoking and you would have regulars come in just to smoke and drink coffee. I think this group is now less likely to come in to the businesses. I, myself, as a non-smoker am pleased to have cleaner air in restaurants and now won't have to worry about getting a headache from the smoke. I also have been to Longbranch once before the ban and remember the food being good, but the air having a lot of smoke. Although, I do appreciate the ban for my own sake, I don't know it is fair to change the way some people enjoy their meals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home